Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thursdays-Feelings of Failure!


Every Thursday I get up and get ready, Pull both my kids out of bed change diapers and throw cloths on them comb their hair and try to get them to eat some kind of breakfast, even if it's just a granola bar. Then rush out the door for story time. Story time in our town is a great program. It's once a week and for the toddler age group it is only a half an hour. At the end each kid gets a free book. I thought this would be great for my kids not only do they get to increase their library, but they get to interact with other children. But it always ends up being such a long half an hour. I can't wait for it to be over. Brylee won't sit still she runs around and is such a distraction for the other kids. I don't know what to do. I want to get her and try to teach her how to sit still and participate with the group but then she screams and I feel like she is being even a bigger distraction then before. I feel like it's a win lose situation. If I let her run loose she wins and is learning that that kind of behavior is okay. If I try to contain her then she cries and no one else can hear. I feel the eyes of other parents staring at me. Are they wondering why I can't control my own child? Are they feeling sorry for me, understanding the frustration and exhaustion I must be feeling? Or are they even looking at me? Is it all in my head?
It never fails during my chase with Brylee CJ is on his own and always ends up getting hurt. Then I have two screaming children. The story time lady is great always telling me to not give up and to keep on coming.
It's time for it to end the children get to leave with their free book and I get to leave with the feeling of complete failure!

1 comment:

  1. Hey..I came across this blog of yours..hope you don't mind that I read it.
    Anyway...keep your chin up. Every mother goes thru this. Some kids take longer than others and some throw bigger fits about sitting still than others....but every mothers has gone thru it. The thing is..keep being the GREAT mom that you are. Keep going to story hour and things will get better. It bothers the mom more than anyone else when your child acts up in public. I've seen you with your kids and you are awesome!!!! You are a great mom! Keep it up!!!!
    Here's a quote that someone told me once.."For behold, it came to pass...not to stay" This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete